Join our Team!
Business Development Associate
GlobalSTL, an initiative of BioSTL
St. Louis, Missouri
GlobalSTL, an initiative of BioSTL, is seeking qualified candidates to join our team and help us achieve our mission of promoting economic growth and regional prosperity. GlobalSTL (www.globalstl.org) attracts to St. Louis the U.S. presence of innovative, high growth companies from around the world. We do this by creating strategic connections to St. Louis' corporations, healthcare systems, and universities resulting in customers and partnerships that advance the business plan of the overseas company that locates their U.S. presence in St. Louis. Target areas track the strengths of St. Louis: Agritech-Foodtech, Healthcare, Pharma, Fintech and Cybersecurity.
BioSTL is a privately-funded non-profit organization transforming St. Louis bioscience and innovation economy. BioSTL has organized business, university, and philanthropic leaders around a set of deliberate strategies that capitalize on St. Louis’ innovation strengths, especially in medical and plant sciences. In addition to attracting the U.S. presence of international companies through our GlobalSTL initiative, other BioSTL focus areas include: building and investing in startups through our venture development arm, BioGenerator; improving access to investment capital; ensuring appropriate physical infrastructure; promoting science- and innovation-friendly public policy; fostering an inclusive entrepreneurial talent pool; and building global awareness of St. Louis’ strengths.
BioSTL believes its success is of vital importance to the future growth and prosperity of the St. Louis region, and seeks committed individuals who share this vision, who desire to make a difference, and who want to be part of a transformative organization. We are seeking individuals who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences and who demonstrate the ability to coordinate and execute key elements of BioSTL’s international company attraction strategies that will enrich the St. Louis innovation ecosystem with cutting edge technology, talent and high-quality jobs.
- As a member of the GlobalSTL team, this position, utilizing your business development and program management experience, will actively participate in the following responsibilities:
- Primarily, under the direction of GlobalSTL Lead, manage comprehensively the administration of the GlobalSTL program to identify, attract and nurture high growth international companies to St. Louis
- Create and manage specific project plan timelines
- Manage local relationships in support of GlobalSTL strategies
- Develop, capture and report on key programmatic metrics and information
- Develop presentations and related material
- Coordinate and manage GlobalSTL sponsored international travel and events, including delegations of St. Louis ecosystem partners to countries relevant to GlobalSTL as sources of company attraction and/or for business development opportunities for St. Louis companies
- In a supportive role, work closely with GlobalSTL and broader BioSTL team, in multiple capacities to drive efforts that:
Result in St. Louis corporations and health systems engaging with GlobalSTL in identifying, attracting and nurturing international high-growth companies that bring innovation and business value to them
Organizing high quality visits to St. Louis of individual or delegations of international companies targeted for attraction to connect with local corporations, research collaborators, investors and other St. Louis and regional partners of interest to the international companies
Maintaining database of all contacts and communication between GlobalSTL and St. Louis and international entities relevant to GlobalSTL (companies, incubators, VCs, NGOs, STL corporations, STL innovation partners, etc.)
Develop and implement ideas, content and relationships for promoting GlobalSTL and its events and outcomes across all channels of media (partnering with BioSTL marketing/PR team)
- Continue to improve GlobalSTL programs and approaches through learning from U.S. and international success models, new ideas and continuous measurement and improvement approach.
- Increased number of global companies engaging with St. Louis region across engagement spectrum
- New jobs created in the St. Louis region from GlobalSTL companies
- New capital invested in the St. Louis region by GlobalSTL companies
- New venture capital investment attracted to the St. Louis region for GlobalSTL companies
- Increased awareness of St. Louis as vibrant innovation and international hub
- Growth in financial support from St. Louis corporations and innovation partners for GlobalSTL/BioSTL
- Increased awareness of BioSTL and GlobalSTL impact as a strategic economic development initiative for our region by local, national and international entities
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree, preferably in business management and/or one or more technical fields that match GlobalSTL focus areas
- Business development experience in a B2B setting and preferably in international setting – demonstrated passion for international business, people, culture and matters; willingness to travel
- Experience communicating with executives (oral and written communication)
- Commitment to making St. Louis a great region for entrepreneurship and start-up activity
- Highest personal integrity
- Demonstrated track record of independent analytical thinking and successful multi-tasking
- Ability to excel in a team setting as well as independent assignments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially with senior executives of diverse backgrounds (investors, inventors, faculty, students, entrepreneurs and governmental agencies)
- Can adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines promptly and efficiently
- Ability to dissect and understand complex business issues
- Ability to see the big picture and manage the minutia
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a variety of sources/individuals
- Excellent listener
- Competent with various Microsoft programs, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Please send a detailed letter of interest and resume to email@example.com with “Business Development Associate” in the subject line.
Confidential inquiries can be submitted to the same email address or one can contact Jim Jaacks, Vice President Finance and Administration, at 314-880-8875. Please note that preferential consideration will be given to candidates residing in the St. Louis region.
For more information, visit www.biostl.org and www.globalstl.org.